[vorbis-dev] Header

Adam Whitehead adam at nwmedia.com.au
Thu May 11 02:45:18 PDT 2000

Hi All,

I'm interested in incorporating support for the OggVorbis
file
format in a future update to my MP3 search engine,
AudioPhilez
(http://www.audiophilez.com).

To be able to do this, I need some simple information. I
would
greatly appreciate it if you could help me out here:

1. Will a standard MP3 decoder find 'sync' in an .OGG file?
My spider
searches for sync (11 bits on) and then another sync header
at
byte [first_sync_header+frame_length]. I just want to make
sure my
spider can easily determine the difference between an MP3
file and
an OGG file.

2. Is there a simple header with bitrate information etc.
encoded in
the header? If someone could let me know of a doc with info
on
the header, I'd really appreciate it. I need info like
bitrate, sample rate,
embedded song name, artist name (if there is one, I sure
hope so!)
and I'll probably include all information that OGG stores
about the
file in my database.

3. I heard OGG supports variable bitrate. Is there an easy
way to calculate
the average bitrate? For MP3 files, I calculate average
bitrate on my site
by dividing file size by playtime etc.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,