[vorbis-dev] Vorbize Multiple Files

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Fri Jun 23 10:17:01 PDT 2000

> Here's a suggestion...add a -menu switch that displays a short text
> message screen w/status display that offers menu options.  Have the user
> select the ones they want.  Yes/no questions are toggles on the menu,
> and questions such as "Title" are variable fields.  When the user has
> selected all of the options they like, they type OGG! at the prompt to
> start.

I think this would be best implemented as a front end to vorbize.  I don't
think Kenneth wants to force too much into a simple command line utility.
Vorbis will need a good GUI "vorbize" at some point, though.

> Another suggestion is to allow wildcards.  Then, rather than a long
> command line specifying specific Shander radio shows to encode, I could
> encode using:
>
> [programname] shander*.wav shander*.newext
>
> This would be helpful because I typically copy stuff to encode into its
> own directory.

Hmm.. Since the shell does the wildcard expansion before vorbize is called,
vorbize would see (assuming you have shander1 through 3):

vorbize shander1.wav shander2.wav shander3.wav shander*.newext

[Note that the shander*.newext was not expanded because you probably don't
have shander*.newext in your directory.]

That seems to break from existing command utilities normal syntax.

I'm thinking that just letting the program figure out the output filename
(remove .wav and add .ogg) would be the simplest solution and cover what
people want to do 95% of the time.  GUI's can handle more difficult semantics.

---
Stan Seibert