[vorbis-dev] Compilation issues on Mac OS X Server 1.2

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Jun 19 19:22:49 PDT 2000

Majordomo bounces the oddest things.
Monty

------- Forwarded Message

To: vorbis-dev at xiph.org
From: Chris Hanson <cmh at mac.com>
Subject: Compilation issues on Mac OS X Server 1.2

I'm trying to build vorbis on Mac OS X Server 1.2 -- aka
powerpc-apple-rhapsody5.6 -- and have had pretty bad luck.  But it
builds now, and I can only presume that it works.

I did a CVS checkout and configure.  It didn't recognize my host's type.

Then I copied the /usr/libexec/config.guess and
/usr/libexec/config.sub files that Apple ships over the top-level
config.guess (configure.guess) and config.sub (configure.sub) files
and tried again.  This time, it had problems with the C compiler,
because Mac OS X Server puts the math library in System.framework,
not in /usr/lib/libm.a so "-lm" generates an error.

I edited the configure script to add a case to set Rhapsody's LIBS to
"" after where it's done for BeOS, and then re-ran the script.  This
time configure finished.

Now, however, make dies when trying to build seeking_test because it
couldn't find _drand48.  I was able to replace this with my own
random function which just calls rand and converts the result to a
scaled double.  The whole thing now builds, but I have no idea how
well it works.

Just thought others should know.  I can supply Rhapsody's
/usr/libexec/config.* to whoever wants them, since they're GPL'd.

   -- Chris

------- End of Forwarded Message