[vorbis-dev] The Oft Maligned comment field, initial thoughts.

David Balazic david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Mon Jun 19 06:57:47 PDT 2000

Dan Conti wrote :

>    Just a quick comment on this.
>
>    ARTIST should refer to the person or persons who played the piece in
>    question. A seperate field, such as ORIGINALARTIST or COMPOSER or something
>    similar would be better fit than using a generic DESCRIPTION field for a
>    specific purpose. Note that the scenario described also applies to covers.
>    On a seperate note, I would recommend at least two or three GENRE fields,
>    with some sort of order placed on them.

I you are going into any details , then forget ARTIST and add PERFORMER,
COMPOSER, etc...
The term ARTIST is too vague ( which artist ? the singer, drummer or
guitar
player ? maybe the one who wrote the music ? or the lyrics ? what about
the
guy who drawed the CD cover ... )

But then it might be too complex for people who just want one field to
enter "Metallica" :-)

david balazic