[vorbis-dev] HTTP streaming / mime type

Philip Heron dragonsfire at lineone.net
Sun Jul 30 20:47:51 PDT 2000

>The media architecture I'm developing tests for which codec to use using
>leading context, either by magic numbers or by an identification function.
>This leading context is buffered until a positive match has been made, at
>which point the buffered data is passed on to the proper module.
>
>On a similar note, I was wondering if anyone could think of a case where a
>fixed amount of leading context would be unworkable for identifying a
>stream.

As well as a true or false, an identification function should also return
'maybe' when it needs more data to make a positive decision on wether or
not it can handle the stream. A fixed amount would probably be fine in most
cases, but you never know - IMO it's always best to leave this kind of
decision to the plugin/module.

Phil