[vorbis-dev] HTTP streaming / mime type

Adam Scriven scriven at lore.com
Sat Jul 29 06:10:26 PDT 2000

At 00:53 2000/07/29 -0700, you wrote:
>I have talked to the developers about it since, and they do intend to fix
>it soon, but have no concrete timeline. The current plan, so far as I
>understand, is to cut and paste the streaming code from the mp3 plugin to
>the plugin support library. Then (here it gets muddy for me) hack in some
>method of figuring out which plugin to ask to open the stream.

Why couldn't they just use MIME types to decide which plugin to use to open
each stream.  Plugin programmers could include a list of MIME types that
the plugin handles, and they could store that in a hash of some sort.  Upon
detecting a new available plugin, it queries the plugin for it's MIME
types, and rebuilds the hash.

Would this not be the simplest way?
Am I missing something?

Adam