[vorbis-dev] more modes?

Gregory Maxwell greg at linuxpower.cx
Wed Jul 26 19:41:43 PDT 2000

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Hwee Fuan Tey wrote:

> Can anyone give me a brief explanation in filling the vorbis_info
> struct? I need to play around with higher/lower nominal kbps, 1/2
> channels and different sample rates..... but donno what other value
> need to be change (ie modes, maps, times, floors......... ). Thanks
>
> Ray

The only way to signifantly tune the bitrate (beyond raising it by turning
off parts of the psy model) it to generate new codebooks, currently. (In
the future, this will not be the case).

Generating codebooks (.vqh files) isn't that tough but it's a bit time
consuming and requires a fairly deep understanding of the codec  and
mastery of strange and undocumented tools. :)

Monty is currently working with some other modes and will make a selection
available after he gets the outstanding problems taken care of.