[vorbis-dev] libao: Cross-platform audio for ogg123

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Sun Jul 9 09:49:36 PDT 2000

Kenneth mentioned he wanted a cross-platform audio library to use for ogg123.
So, I've spent the last week hacking up the libao from ac3dec that someone
suggested earlier.  It bears little resemblance to the old code, but now does
what I want.

libao now supports OSS and WAV file output, with the infrastructure in place
to expand further.  There are Solaris and IRIX drivers that I inherited from
the original libao, but have not been tested.  Eventually, I want to add
ESounD, Win32, ALSA, and BeOS support.

I've also modified ogg123 to use libao and support multiple output devices.
So, now I can play audio to my soundcard while simultaneously writing to WAV
file (or 6 wav files if you are so inclined).

Basically, ogg123 does what it did before but now it can be easily extended to
include other platforms and file formats.

So my next question is: Can this be integrated with the existing vorbis
source?  If so, what is the best way to do this?  The modifications include
patches to configure.in, vorbis-tools/Makefile.in, vorbis-tools/ogg123.c, as
well as copying the libao directory of files into vorbis-tools.

---
Stan Seibert