[vorbis-dev] ogg123 HTTP streaming

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Jul 31 11:11:03 PDT 2000

------- Forwarded Message

Kenneth C. Arnold (kcarnold at yahoo.com) wrote :

>    I am about to commit HTTP streaming code for ogg123. This has no relation to
>    the discussion about "real" steaming Ogg; it just downloads and plays at the
>    same time. But unless you have a direct T3 connection, it'll almost definately
>    break up quite frequently. Solution? Buffer. But I have other things to work
>    on for the rest of the day...
>
>    Any screaming objections?
>
>    This has been tested on some of the example files up at www.vorbis.com. It has
>    no proxy support, no HTTP authentication, or any other nice stuff like that.
>    Just do, e.g.,
>
>    % ogg123 http://www.vorbis.com/music/blueperiod_itsover.ogg

What about this :
% wget -q -O - http://www.vorbis.com/music/blueperiod_itsover.ogg |
buffer | ogg123 -

wget :
 -q , be quiet ( don't print anything )
 -O - , send the file to stdout

buffer : This is a program distributed with RedHat Linux ( and maybe
other distros
too ), that buffers data. Useful in pipelines ,like in our example.

ogg123 :
- - play data from stdin

The moral : Don't reinvent (poorly) the wheel !

David Balazic

P.S.: About streaming in XMMS, the XMMS code is really fscked up !
For example the effect plugin is called from the currently active
output plugin , so if the out-plugin author forgot it, then no effect
plugins will work ! Off course there are exception to this "rule".
The EQ effect is a special built in effect that work always.
An there is the weird idea that only one effect can be used at a time
( plus the EQ of course ). I hope they polish the code ( and the
design ) up for version 2.0.

------- End of Forwarded Message