[vorbis-dev] HTTP streaming / mime type

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Fri Jul 28 13:27:02 PDT 2000

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, David Carter wrote:

> > Monty said something yesterday about the problem being in xmms/winamp not
> > the plugins. Apparently they assume anything coming over http is mp3,
> > rather than checking the format. That should be easy to fix.
>
> Hopefully it's fixed soon, then. :)

Alas, it's worse than I thought. I just took a look at the code and the
streaming code is *inside* the mp3 input plugin. Yech. So it's a pretty
major re-write (including a revision of the input plugin interface) to fix
things properly. Currently it passes the 'filename' you've asked it to
play to each plugin in turn, asking if they recognize it. the mpg123
plugin always says it can play anthing starting with "http://" and handles
the streaming from there.

I haven't come up with a nice way around that. Has anyone talked to them
about this directly? Maybe they have a plan.

 -ralph