[vorbis-dev] Using the vorbis psychoacoustics model

Mark Taylor mt at sulaco.org
Fri Jul 7 16:30:43 PDT 2000

> From: Takehiro Tominaga <tominaga at isoternet.org>
> Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 09:35:06 +0900
> Sender: owner-vorbis-dev at xiph.org

>     N> mmmm Why aren't you using lames Gpsycho???
>
> because a part of GPSYCHO is patented.
> ---
> tominaga at isoternet.org // may the source be with you!

I believe the only part of GPSYCHO that is patented is the formula for
extimating the tonalty (for determining if a masker is noise-like or
tonal).  You need this information to determine the amount of masking,
since a noise like signal generates more masking.

gpsycho is also a partition-band model.  That is, it computes
maskings in (about) 64 bands, each about 3.5 barks wide.  I beleive
Vorbis does the full "line-by-line calculation" (it computes maskings for
every single spectral line/cofficient).  But the energies/maskings of
individual MDCT coefficients only make sense when some kind of
averaging/smoothing is done, so this is probably not an advantage.

Another difference: IIRC, Vorbis has a hand crafted spreading function
which Monty derived from the actual psycho acoustic data.  gpsycho
just uses a simple formula coming from the ISO AAC docs.

Mark