[vorbis-dev] Vorbis license terms?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Feb 15 16:00:51 PST 2000

(As a note... this is now becoming a discussion wandering from practical
bearing on Vorbis to abstract flaming.  It's already been had at great length
elsewhere, and prior experience indicates that it's not going to end until
someone invokes Hitler)

>     The GPL does not remove any freedom over source you write.

No, it simply takes rights away from other developers.  *I* can still do
whatever I want.  Others are tied.  That's not freedom in the real world.

> It only
> affects derivative works, in which the original author(s) have most of the
> rights.

No, it affects usage rights.  If Vorbis were GPL, no commercial (and I do mean
commercial) system could use it.  Regardless of theory or politics, this will
hurt Vorbis.

>    The GPL does not force anyone to pay a licensing fee. It forces them to
> make a choice between freeing their software under the GPL or asking for a
> proprietary license.

Alexis is arguing from practical experience.  It's difficult to argue that
reality isn't so.

>    The reason the GPL is written the way it is is because RMS doesn't
> ever want to have to tell someone that he's prohibited from giving them a
> piece of software or telling them how it works.  At least, that's how I
> understand it.  They have never condemned commercial software, only
> proprietary software (AFAIK).

Actually, RMS openly condemns any commercialization of software.  He also
equates being paid for writing software with prostitution.  He's not a halfway
kind of guy.  The Open Source movement needs RMS, but that doesn't mean he
should be trusted with the kingdom, the same way I wouldn't trust any
extremist, fundamentalist or intellectual who consistently chooses elegant (but
disasterously incorrect) logic over the very minimum of common sense.

>     I'm afraid I don't worship on the altar on non-forking.  Probably
> because I don't feel competition == wasted effort.

In my own experience, the single largest cause of forking is way too much ego
flying around.  Forking because of petty bickering *is* a waste and does cause
unneeded confusion.

Forking for commercial goals is much more sinister.  Witness Microsoft's
"embrace and extend"...

Monty