[vorbis-dev] ogg123, Chrismas release

Beni Cherniavsky cben at crosswinds.net
Sun Dec 31 05:09:36 PST 2000

Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> No need to make the executable sgid if the user is already in the
> group. It is the admin's decision, of course, but it would be
> futile to even _try_ to audit ogg123, as all of the libraries
> it depends on would have to be audited as well. Pretty big job
> to do; although it would be useful to audit the Vorbis library,
> as there still exist places where overruns or non-initialasations
> can occur, if you feed it a bad stream (no default cases on
> some switches, sometimes not enough input checking). This is
> pretty minor on normal use, but would be a killer if you suid the
> executable.

Then, we should do what most frequently suid-ed programs do - give up
all permissions after we open the audio device.
That could be a problem if we close and reopen it on every file.
This leads to a separation of a simple and bulletproof audio server
from the program and we already have programs like ESD for that.
So after all, you shouldn't make ogg123 suid - you just have to
install a suid/sgid server like ESD and have the users use
corresponding plugins in all their programs (including ogg123).

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)

  No, No! You're not thinking; you're just being logical.
                                             - Niels Bohr