[vorbis-dev] build process patches

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Sat Dec 30 19:11:19 PST 2000

> This may be a stupid question, but are dynamically loadable plugins really
> worth the grief?  It seems like, under Linux at least, there's only a small,
> stable set of output methods, which could just be compiled directly into libao
> on a per-platform basis.

It doesn't work when you try to integrate things into standard packaging
systems.  How am I to know which set of libs you have?  Sure, OSS doesn't
require any libs, but ALSA does.  Monty uses alsa.  I use Esound.  Both
require libs, and neither of us has the other one.  We both like to use
packages (me, rpm, monty, debian) for installing things.

Compiling it statically just doesn't work.  Doing it dynamically turned
about to be easy and fixed the problem correctly IMO.  What grief have you
had? :)

jack.