[vorbis-dev] CFLAGS / LDFLAGS

Ralph Giles giles at ashlu.bc.ca
Thu Dec 21 13:30:54 PST 2000

On 21 Dec 2000 15:14:27 -0600 Mike Coleman <mcoleman2 at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure exactly what the answer is, but somehow flags criticial for
> correctness (like -DAO_PLUGIN_PATH=\"${exec_prefix}/lib/ao\") ought to be put
> somewhere where they don't get stepped on by a user that wants to specify
> their own optimization flags.

Typically this is done by only ever adding to CFLAGS within configure:

  CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -DAO_PLUGIN_PATH=foo"

That way any user settings are automatically incorporated. Of course this
breaks if the configure adds any options that are incompatible with the
user settings. Parsing the user options works in some case (AC_PROG_CC
does this) but is pretty much beyond the scope of autoconf for CFLAGS.

Another approach is to just not add any compiler flags (beyond -I and
-L/-l) at all if CFLAGS is defined at the start, and tack on a $(DEFS)
with all the source-specific defines at the end.

FWIW,
 -ralph

giles at ashlu.bc.ca