[vorbis-dev] patents and separate entropy coding

Segher Boessenkool segher at wanadoo.nl
Fri Dec 15 19:42:52 PST 2000

> Under Claim #1, it says "transforming the samples of said acoustical
> signal using a transform/filter bank"

Note that any program which does not include a CD ripper, is not
processing an acoustical signal.

> This patent is broad though.  You could claim it covered many things,
> including things like jpeg.  I don't think claim #1 would stand up.

Jpeg? Acoustical signal?

Btw, I _do_ think claim 1 would stand up. I couldn't find any prior art.

> Some of the more specific claims (delphion shows a total of 32 claims).
>
> So now that we all understand how to reference patents and claims, this
> discussion should get much more to the meat of any problems :)

Hope so. Most people so far are just panicking to absurd claims; more
absurd than the actual claims that were made in the catual patents.

Dagdag,

Segher