[vorbis-dev] vorbis.com

Frank Klemm pfk at fuchs.offl.uni-jena.de
Sat Dec 30 20:40:48 PST 2000

On Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 07:09:02PM -0800, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> > When is Ogg Vorbis compilable on a normal installed computer? Currently I
> > haven't found a computer where I can compile the current CVS. If the
> > developer of Ogg Vorbis are interested in spreading OV over the net, some
> > effort in making a OV installation easy should be investigated.
>
> It installs fine from the tarballs.  If you can't get it to compile from
> CVS, then you shouldn't be using CVS :)  That's kinda the point.
>
> Grab the distribution tarballs.  Those install fine across many systems
> and many compilers.

I don't change the distribution.

I want a method which reads a .ogg files and writes a 16 bit PCM file.
No more and no less.

I'm interested in music, and first thing I do with MP3/MP+/MP2/VQF is to
burn a CD, to switch out the computer and then to take a 7 years old CD
player to listen to the music.

A CD player makes no noise and also a dog can handle a CD player.
Startup time is something around 2-3 seconds (not minutes).

And in 5 years noone is interested in things like MP3 or Ogg Vorbis.
So wait 5 years and then Ogg can be moved to /dev/null.

--
Frank Klemm