[vorbis-dev] ogg123 / Solaris

Kenneth C. Arnold kcarnold at arnoldnet.net
Sat Dec 30 13:26:23 PST 2000

According to Jack Moffitt (sometime around Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 01:40:11PM -0800):
> > Thanks for bringing this up again. Yes it can be fixed, with an
> > oggenc-style approach: local copies of getopt. I have come up with
> > several ways of sharing the source files between the two programs, but
> > none are completely satisfactory with automake expecting things to be
> > certain ways ... can somebody figure this out (Jack?)
>
> We don't ever modify getopt.  This then could fall into the same category
> as the COPYING file, and we could just have multiple copies.   Not
> elegant, but CVS doesn't do symlinks.  And any other automake stuff to get
> around it might be more trouble than its worth.

I guess I'll go into a little more detail here:

My idea (that I thought automake might not like) would be to put the
getopt stuff in vorbis-tools/getopt, and have each program that used
it (ogg123 and oggenc for now) specify

ogg123_SOURCES = ogg123.c (etc) ../getopt/getopt.c ../getopt/getopt1.c

or whatever the case may be, in Makefile.am. Now, the question to
those of us (Jack <g>) better inclined to automake than me, how will
automake deal with this? Even if it does _work_ for a short time, is
it supposed to work that way? I haven't tried it.

Also, since I've got Jack listening, make debug in vorbis-tools/ogg123
does not add "-g" to CFLAGS. Why not? It's obviously supposed to.

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>