[vorbis-dev] Ports

Brian Havard brianh at kheldar.apana.org.au
Thu Dec 28 01:06:07 PST 2000

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 11:47:41 -0500, Kenneth C. Arnold wrote:

>According to Michael Smith (sometime around Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 01:39:16PM +1100):
>
>> Is using gcc a problem? (i.e. would you prefer to use watcom?) ogg123 is
>> being largely rewritten at the moment, I suspect it'd be possible to not
>> have it do fdopen() at all (it's a bit of a messy way to do socket stuff).
>
>It's a very messy way to do socket stuff, and only there to deal with
>a library that used FILE*. It could have been a lot neater if I had
>instead used callbacks to begin with, but the whole mess is getting a
>big rewrite very soon. I'm currently busy with buffering; since we're
>on the OS/2 topic, how would one go about doing a buffer for OS/2? My
>current approach is a fixed shared memory segment and two processes
>(could be threads on a platform that supports it).

Isn't shared memory quite tricky to do portably, even between unix
variants? On OS/2 multithreading is the normal way to do this sort of thing
but threads & associated mechanisms like semaphores tend to be platform
specific so doing it for all supported platforms becomes a pain. However,
multi-threading, semaphores & even shared memory are all covered by APR
which I mentioned a while ago re plugin loading. APR is the library used
in/developed for Apache 2.0 to encapsulate all the platform specific
details.