[vorbis-dev] CFLAGS / LDFLAGS

Mike Coleman mcoleman2 at kc.rr.com
Fri Dec 22 01:02:27 PST 2000

Jeff Squyres <jsquyres at lsc.nd.edu> writes:
> On 21 Dec 2000, Mike Coleman wrote:
>
> > Please enlighten me, I though '-g' never made a difference in
> > execution speed (for gcc).  Doesn't it emit the same actual
> > instructions either way?
>
> There are those of us who don't use gcc.
>
> Sun's Forte compilers, for example, have a *huge* speed difference with
> and without -g.  Using -g can disable tail-call optimization and back-end
> inlining (from the cc man page).

I understand this.  Since vorbis isn't yet rock-solid, though, it would be
really nice to have -g be the default, at least for platforms where it doesn't
matter.  Maybe there is some way to have autoconf do it based on the compiler?

--Mike

--
[O]ne of the features of the Internet [...] is that small groups of people can
greatly disturb large organizations.  --Charles C. Mann