[vorbis-dev] patents and separate entropy coding

Lourens Veen jsr at dds.nl
Fri Dec 15 11:39:20 PST 2000

Roger, sorry 'bout that. I am talking about patent claim #US5579430
which is entitled Digital encoding process and can be found at
http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=US05579430__

It patents "A digital encoding process for transmitting and/or storing
acoustical sigs and, in particular, music signals, in which scanned
values of the acoustical signal are transformed by means of a
transformation or a filter bank into a sequence of second scanned
values, which reproduce the spectral composition of the acoustical
signal, and the sequence of second scanned values is quantized in
accordance with the requirements with varying precision and is partially
or entirely encoded by an optimum encoder, and in which a corresponding
decoding and inverse transformation takes place during the
reproduction."

I'd say that that is what Vorbis does, although I haven't looked at the
algorithm very closely.

Lourens