[vorbis-dev] Vorbize.c

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Aug 31 00:19:10 PDT 2000

>1. How do I tell vorbisfile ( / libvorbis ) that I want the data in host byte
>order?

You don't - you tell vorbisfile whether you want the data big endian or
little endian (it's one of the arguments to ov_read()) - figuring out which
is your host endianness has to be done elsewhere (either at runtime or
compile time)

>2. I assume that at least a majority of sound output mechanisms like data in
>host byte order. Correct?

It's a reasonable assumption, I think.

>3. Is libao byte-order safe?

Don't think so. It seems to assume that the data comes in with the correct
byte order for that output module - and it has no way to communicate back
to the calling program what 'correct' is. It quite possibly works anyway,
however.

Michael