[vorbis-dev] Optimization and doubles vs. floats

Timothy J. Wood tjw at omnigroup.com
Tue Aug 29 14:44:13 PDT 2000

On Tuesday, August 29, 2000, at 02:31 PM, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
>Those 4 ops have to be the same, and the data must be in the right order
>in your registers (or I don't know Altivec well enough; that's quite
>realistic).

  Yes.  The ordering is a little flexible since the Altivec unit can pair
a normal operation with a vector permute operation in a single cycle.  So,
if your data isn't to far out of order, you can reorder it for 'free'.

>Because of this, the choice of mdct algo gets different.
>Even a plain matrix mult can be fast, you know...

  I need to look around at the various Altivec resources on the net again
-- I think there was an implementation out there already (although it
probably isn't under the right license).  Obviously I'm still in the
research phase :)

-tim