[vorbis-dev] Parallelism

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Aug 22 01:21:07 PDT 2000

> >  > I disagree (and we may well have to agree to disagree).
> >
> >Agreed. Now, go ahead and write the code.
>
> Gregory, generally, with any Open Source effort, talking to the other
> developers before you rip into the code is a good idea. Jeff's
> original questions are not inappropriate for this list, and neither
> is the resulting discussion.

The strangest things set off Greg, I swear...

The discussion is appropriate to the list.  It's large volume of posts is
perhaps a bit odd given the subject, but that isn't bad. My take agrees with
Greg's, although I'll be a bit nicer about saying it.

I have no plans, currently, to parallelize things.  Libvorbis is set up to
make parallelism possible at the encoder level, but it's still not easy as it
should be because you'd have to make assumptions about libvorbis behavior that
isn't documented.

Just because I'm not planning to parallelize doesn;t mean I'm going to tell
anyone else not to.  If you're motivated (or can motivate someone) to write
the code, go for it.  I'm just not currently planning to do it myself.

Monty