[vorbis-dev] Parallelism

Sean Wieland wielas at rpi.edu
Fri Aug 18 15:41:48 PDT 2000

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Timothy Wayper wrote:

 [snip]

> I don't understand why you would need multiple cpus doing encoding if all
> you are encoding is a single track or single CD. It's just silly, and a
> waste of time. People who are already doing bulk encoding (encoded over
> 1000 CDs into mp3, about to begin again redoing it all w/ vorbis) are
> perfectly happy with the one track or one disk to cpu method. The human
> complete entry in the frequent case where the CDDB data is missing or very
> inaccurate) is the limiting factor and all the CPUs and MPI parallel
> encoders in the world can't help.

Companies who have their own content aren't limited by that, and so
independent labels would greatly benefit from parallel processing of
many MP3s/Vorbi/whatever.  Or even, Internet radio companies with many
stations need real-time or faster encoding of many streams, and beowulf
clusters would be a more efficient use of resources.

I don't see why anyone is complaining about adding a feature, especially
if it's so high-level.

-Sean

--
 +-----=[export-a-crypto-system-sig RSA-3-lines-PERL]=-----+
 |#!/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj|