[vorbis-dev] Parallelism

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Fri Aug 18 14:13:08 PDT 2000

I think a better solution to parallelism is to just make sure the
library is reentrant and let developers implement parallelism at a
higher level.

If you desperately want some sort of portable parallelism within the
implementation, I suggest wrapping it up in an abstraction layer
which can use POSIX threads, MPI, or the native threading interfaces
on Windows and Macintosh.

Another suggestion:  Be careful what you do in the threads.  MacOS in
particular has restrictions on what threads can and cannot do.  For
instance, a preemptive Multiprocessing Services thread can only make
certain types of File Manager and Multiprocessing Services calls; I
don't even think it can allocate memory.

--
Christopher M. Hanson
President