[vorbis-dev] Parallelism

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Fri Aug 18 08:49:31 PDT 2000

> On another note entirely, has anyone completed a BeOS port yet? If not, I'm
> quite keen to get involved. I've written a reasonably fast MP3 decoder which
> runs under MacOS and BeOS for the game we're developing at the moment
> (although I'm nervous about patent issues, so I'd much rather use vorbis!),
> so I'm somewhat familiar with the issues involved in the port.

Are you thinking GUI or command line utility?  In the command line department,
oggenc should work, or be very easy to fix.  As for playback, I'm still trying
to beat ogg123 into shape.  Next I need to fix byte ordering, but after that I
would love to have someone do a BeOS driver for the libao output library we're
using.

That brings me to a general question I have about BeOS:  ogg123 and libao are
both C.  Can audio output on a BeOS computer be done with C code, or is C++
required?  If C++ is required, what are the issues involved in integrating C
and C++ code?  (I have no experience in this area.)

---
Stan Seibert