[vorbis-dev] Channel coupling in Vorbis

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Mon Aug 14 16:12:39 PDT 2000

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, David Carter wrote:

> Since M/S stereo (the technique planned for channel coupling) is exactly the
> same as 2-channel Ambisonic B-format sound, there seems to be little reason
> to make a seperate spec for M/S stereo.  I'm not sure whether Monty is
> intending for M/S tracks to be tagged as 2-channel Ambisonic or not, but that
> doesn't matter a whole lot.

The only difference I can see is whether it's safe to treat M/S stereo,
which usually assumes two speakers 60 degrees apart on the "front wall"
the same as ambisonic WY, which assumes a left/right distinction centered
on the listening. It might make sense to flag those intentions
differently, even if the encoder treats them identically.

 -ralph