[vorbis-dev] Meta Data

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Wed Aug 2 11:48:45 PDT 2000

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Scott Danahy wrote:

> Are there any plans for Vorbis to support any meta data (Artist, Album,
> Genre, etc...) about the track itself? I understand that this stuff could be
> squeezed into a comment, or that a non format specific method like ID3 could
> be used, but is there any consensus on a standard way of doing this?

For the initial release, we'll be using the tagged comment facility in the
vorbis header. The canonical list should be plenty descriptive for most
uses, and I expect it to be standard for audio-only files. See
docs/v-comment.html in the cvs source for a detailed list. This is already
implemented in current cvs and will be in the upcoming second beta.

We're also planning a more comprehensive stream description and metadata
format for ogg, probably RDF based. See the list archives if you're
curious about this.

Hope that helps,
 -ralph

giles at ashlu.bc.ca