[vorbis-dev] Vorbize.c

kcarnold at yahoo.com kcarnold at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 16:48:05 PDT 2000

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 08:22:16PM -0700, Monty wrote:

> > I would really like to do some stuff with the library itself rather than
> > just writing stuff that uses it. How could I get started? And also, for school
> > I need to do a (relatively large) computer-oriented project... is there any
> > way I could work on Vorbis for that? (it's pretty open-ended.)
>
> Well, do you have a particular use in mind?  Most people approach software
> from a goal-oriented angle :-)

It's maybe a bit too open-ended. I don't know audio or any stuff like that, but
I have potentially a *lot* of time to find that stuff out, so you tell me: what
should I look at?

> > ogg123 needs some cleaning... if school wasn't just starting, I would be doing
> > that right now... what the heck, I'll do it anyway ;)
>
> That's the spirit!

ogg123 endian is probably flat-out wrong for anything but x86. It's also
horridly non-portable (though libao helps a lot for that). A couple quick
questions then:

1. How do I tell vorbisfile ( / libvorbis ) that I want the data in host byte
order?

2. I assume that at least a majority of sound output mechanisms like data in
host byte order. Correct?

3. Is libao byte-order safe?

Third I'll figure out by myself unless I get any explicit evidence either way.

> Braino/Editor error

You didn't try to put your name in as a .sig, did you? huh? right...

> Monty Monty

Kenenth :)