[vorbis-dev] added check/define for int64_t

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at lsc.nd.edu
Tue Aug 29 23:26:25 PDT 2000

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Monty wrote:

> I'd appreciate it if folks on different platforms could test build the
> current CVS mainline to make sure I didn't break things in the
> cleanup.

Bonk.  Badness on Solaris 2.6 with the Sun Workshop 5.0 compiler.  It
bails in lib/window.c because int16_t is not defined (although it found it
in configure).

I think include/vorbis/os_types.h.in is just missing a
#include<sys/types.h> for the last section of #define's.

Additionally, if you have $CC set to "gcc" when you run configure,
configure still uses the Solaris Workshop optimiation flags, which,
needless to say, confuses gcc greatly.  :-)

The problem seems to be that AC_PROG_CC is only called if the CC
environment variable is unset or empty:

-----
if test -z "$CC"; then
        AC_PROG_CC
fi
-----

Since CC is set, AC_PROG_CC is never run, and then $GCC doesn't get set,
so the logic in configure chooses to use the Workshop optimization flags.
This will also happen on other architectures if CC is set to "gcc" when
configure is run.

I think the solution is simply to remove the "if test -z..." and always
run AC_PROG_CC.  It will use the value from $CC if it is set, and will set
(or not set) $GCC as appropriate.

After all that -- how about adding some hooks so that we can pass in our
own CFLAGS and LDFLAGS?  :-)  Should be pretty easy -- just don't zero out
CFLAGS in configure.in on line 121.  I don't think that that breaks
anything else...

{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} squyres at cse.nd.edu
{+} Perpetual Obsessive Notre Dame Student Craving Utter Madness
{+} "I came to ND for 4 years and ended up staying for a decade"