[vorbis-dev] Optimization and doubles vs. floats

Timothy J. Wood tjw at omnigroup.com
Tue Aug 29 13:34:35 PDT 2000

  I saw some mail go by a bit ago about doubles-vs-floats, but I seem to have lost it.

  I'm interested in rewriting the mdct code using Altivec on MacOS X.  Altivec doesn't support doubles, though -- the only floating point vector type is single precision floats.  Vorbis currently has doubles everywhere -- is this really necessary?   Doubles are supposedly faster than floats in the PPC FPU, but the Altivec unit is definitely going to be faster.

-tim