[vorbis-dev] Parallelism

Jose Mejuto jmejuto at pobox.com
Mon Aug 21 04:34:12 PDT 2000

At 09:52 21/08/00 +0200, you wrote:
> > >I disagree. The fastest commercially available ripping driver is the
> > >Plextor Ultraplex. On my desktop I can encode (into MP3, there is no
> > >strong reason to expect that vorbis will not be someday comparable to lame
> > >in speed) faster then I can rip on that drive.
> >
> > WOW!! Can you encode/compress at 20x +/- ??? What CPU(s) do you have ?
>
>[note: I'm not the original poster]
>
>Even my old K5 model 1, 100 MHz can encode (mp3) at 11.5x. That is just
>faster than my ripping speed, so I don't need parallel encoding. I
>suspect most people don't. But anyone who cares about it can implement
>it themselves, of course.

Hello,

Mmmm!! I do not understand nothing :-? I am encoding MP3 in my K6 II 400 at
2x-3x (aprox) using LAME (CBR), I can get around 5x using Xing codec (But
ok, it sounds really awful). In my P200 MMX I can get near 2x with LAME (I
had no tested Xing speed in this machine), but you can encode MP3 at 11x in
your K5  100 Mhz :-? My CPUs need some steroids :-) What compressor are you
using ?