[vorbis-dev] question about encoding of lacing values

Mike Coleman mcoleman2 at kc.rr.com
Sun Aug 20 12:42:47 PDT 2000

Hi,

I'm reading the logical bitstream framing doc, and I have a question about
lacing values, which encode the length of a packet (I think).  For example,
the values

    255, 255, 243

encode a length of 753.

I'm wondering whether a format more like this was considered

        length		bytes		encoding
        0-254		1		value in one byte
        255-65534	3		one 255 + value in two bytes
        65535-16777215	5		two 255 + value in three bytes
        etc

It does cost an extra byte for lengths 255-509, but is smaller for lengths
over 764.  To me, it seems simpler.

--Mike

--
[O]ne of the features of the Internet [...] is that small groups of people can
greatly disturb large organizations.  --Charles C. Mann