[vorbis-dev] mdct

Segher Boessenkool segher at eastsite.nl
Tue Aug 15 06:45:21 PDT 2000

> > Okay, but what are the sizes used _now_?
>
> 256/2048 right now.  Spec says 64 -> 16384 (or some such) but really, 128->
> 4096 is all we're likely to see.  I may limit the spec to that for the sake of
> hardware players for the next few years.

I wouldn't limit it to 128; for example, in case of a sharp attack,
we could use a 32/32 window, a 32/256 window, a 256/2048 window. Or
something. i.e., a very short window to catch the spike, a medium window
for the harmonic content, and a long window for the post masking (heck,
even 8192 would work). Need to experiment.

> > The sin(sin) thing still? Weird function. But no sin window. OK.
>
> Effective function.  Good energy compaction, low leakage :-)

I'll analyze its aliasing features :-)

Still, I need to know the forward/backward mdct definitions...

Ciao,

Segher