[vorbis-dev] Optimizations, simple but effective

Jonathan Blow jon at bolt-action.com
Fri Apr 28 22:34:51 PDT 2000

Tony Arcieri wrote:

> Users will want the numbers back in the endianess their DSP uses, which is
> almost always going to be little endian...

Hmm, I am thinking of this as a user of a sound API such as OpenAL,
DirectSound or some random higher-level media playing system.  Every
API like that I've ever seen takes arrays of shorts in host byte-order.
Maybe those APIs do a conversion back the other way for the hardware
to muck with the samples, but that is always below the level that I
as an app writer can see.

If we're talking about driver-level programming, or something that's
not app-like (embedded software or some such) then I have no knowledge
of those areas.  I had only thought of it from the POV of a high-level
app.

   -Jonathan.