[vorbis-dev] Mime type

Tony Arcieri tarcieri at gjhsnews.com
Wed Apr 26 18:39:13 PDT 2000

Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:21:12 -0700 (PDT) Jack Moffitt <jack at icecast.org>:

> not a good idea.  ogg is an umbrella format.  it's not audio specific.

> audio/x-vorbis would be good for vorbis only ogg files.

I'd tend to disagree... in other cases in which framework formats that can
encapsulate other formats (e.g. AVI, Quicktime) are given MIME types, it's
done by the framing format rather than what it contains.  It's pointless
to do otherwise as if you can't read the framing format, what is the point
of being able to decode the format it contains?

Tony Arcieri