[vorbis-dev] What is and what should never be

Tony Arcieri tarcieri at gjhsnews.com
Fri Apr 14 10:49:13 PDT 2000

There seems to be a great deal of talk about adding every conceivable type
of metadata to vorbis.  Everyone sees this as an opportunity to add the
little obscure feature they've always wanted.  I don't know if Monty will
agree, but I think for the most part this transcends the scope of vorbis.
I think it would be much more appropriate to create some sort of
general-purpose framing format that can incorporate both the metadata and
the vorbis bitstream and can seperate them, having the player do with the
metadata what it will and passing the bitstream onto its respective
decoder.

This draws to light the current state of affairs of media under *IX
environments.  With no large corporation there to cram (god awful)
standards down everyone's throats, everything seems to be incredibly
disconnected and unorganized.  I think this has become fairly obvious with
the addition of vorbis support to many indivdual programs and dealing with
the individual problems incurred therein.

I'm not saying MCI is a good implementation, for assuredly it is not.  But
I believe the driving concept is sound.  Is bringing some sort of standard
media interface to the *IX environment not a worthwhile goal to work
toward?

Tony Arcieri