[vorbis-dev] Vorbis support in BladeEnc

Tord Jansson tord.jansson at swipnet.se
Thu Apr 13 11:08:24 PDT 2000

Hi everyone,

My name is Tord Jansson and I'm the creator of BladeEnc.

I'm very delighted to see that someone has created an open and patent-free
sound format which seems to have the qualifications to be on par (or beat)
even the best proprietary formats. Congratulations to everyone involved!

I would like to help making Vorbis a popular format for compressed audio and
have been thinking of how I could contribute to your effort. As most of you
probably know, judging from BladeEnc still being a strongly ISO-based encoder,
my knowledge in audio compression is quite limited.

What I on the other hand have is a widely adopted program for audio compression
with a large following of users from all platforms. I believe I could give
Vorbis a push towards achieving mainstream adoption by including Vorbis support
in BladeEnc, try to persuade the frontend developers to support this format as
well and write some about it on my homepage.

However, before I do this I just thought I should drop you guys a note and see
if you had any ideas, recommendations or objections.

BladeEnc (both executable and DLL) is allready prepared for supporting
new codecs, so the work should be quite easy.

/Tord