[vorbis-dev] Metadata, file signatures, and extentions

Myers W. Carpenter myers at fil.org
Mon Apr 10 14:08:07 PDT 2000

Hi,
        I've been working writing some tools that deal with id3v2 tags on mp3
files.  id3v2 is this really, really long specification with places for
all kinds of metadata for media.
        I've looking at the sample vorbis encoder and a file I made from it I
noted that you have some a comment field, and I was wondering if you had
any plans to support more metadata, and if you would consider adding
id3v2 as your metadata format.  The id3v2 is a farily elaborate
specicification, it wouldn't be a good thing for theis "wheel" to have
to be reinvented for vorbis.  It also would be nice to see this written
in the actually vorbis spec, rather than bolted on later.
        The one downside I've seen in using id3v2 tags is that they usually
begin at the very beginning of the file.   Looking at a vorbis file you
a file signature at the beginning.  Not sure what can be done in this
case as id3v2 tags expect to be at the very beginning of the file.
        Also: what is the file extention used for vorbis files?  .vor?

        thanks,
                myers

--
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.