[vorbis-dev] Re: [MP3 ENCODER] Sound & Vision codec comparison article

Greg Maxwell gmaxwell at Martin.FL.US
Mon Sep 6 22:09:40 PDT 1999

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Mark Taylor wrote:

> MP3 and PAC are both MDCT/scalefactor type codecs.  Anyone know
> what the technology is in the microsoft codec?

>From what I've read the MS coder is just a poor rehash of the ISO refrence
MP3 encoder with the format munged and 'protection' added.. I'll see if I
can find documentation on that..

As for these tests, I'd take them with a grain or two of salt: Many of
their subjects had a hard time telling most pieces at 128Kb/s mp3 from the
orignal CD. This doesn't make any sence, as anyone with a somewhat decent
audio system should be able to hear thew 16K low pass, much less the other
distorition.