[vorbis-dev] CVS troubles

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Sep 3 10:15:00 PDT 1999

> > Ah, you're building against the parts that are actually written at the moment.
> > You won't be able to produce bitstreams (yet; very preliminary streams are not
> > too far off), but the source/sink code does work.
>
> Does it do any quantization yet? It sounds _very_ good, too good to be true.
> Any estimates on what bitrate it does?

I assume you mean dsptest?  Yes, that runs the full quantization, it just
doesn't encode it yet (to be fair, I don't remember what quant settings are
actually committed to CVS. I've been mostly testing with an estimated 96kbps
coupled stereo, but DON'T QUOTE THOSE NUMBERS until I have it coding.  My
estimation is very possibly flawed/too optimistic).

I'm beginning to suspect that a few of you folks have more running code than I
do right now ;-)

> Later this week I'll send some optimizations to Monty; it's easier to test if
> it runs a bit faster :-)

Agreed.  My own profiling shows the MDCT to be the major bottleneck (80% of
execution time.  The price of a simpler, non-subbanding algortihm).  The major
problem there is using gcc/egc as the compiler.  On IRIX, the MIPSpro CC
geenrates code 4x faster than GCC and on Solaris, SunSoft CC generates code
2.5x faster.  I'd assume the same is true on Intel but I don't have any
commercial compilers to bench against on x86.

Monty