[vorbis-dev] XMMS: busywaiting??

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Oct 13 07:22:06 PDT 1999

So, I'm seeing XMMS behave mighty strangely here.

decode_example piped into a command line player manages to playback realtime on
my p233 somewhat easily.  XMMS (with the Vorbis plugin) utterly pegs the CPU
and stutters badly.

So, I started playing.  Playing back mp3, xmms stutters badly (mp123 and xaudio
play back realtime without difficulty). Playing back straight wav files, xmms
also nearly pegs the CPU and skips alot (although it's not a continuous
stutter). When playback is *paused*, xmms is taking up 80-100% of CPU.

Peter, might you have any idea what would be wrong?  System behavior is the
same under Debian 2.0 [glibc2.0] and current [glibc2.1.2].  I'm using ALSA
rather than OSS, my system libs should all be thread capable and I'm running
linuxthreads 0.71.

Monty