[vorbis-dev] XMMS plugin update

Tony Arcieri tarcieri at gjhsnews.com
Sat Nov 13 12:38:06 PST 1999

> It's unlikely to be a problem, but a 1 in 1,000,000,000 chance of
> failure means a crash every couple seconds :-)

As far as I can tell there should be no problem with using global
variables in this manner as things stand.  Unless a module specifically
implements preplay (there's only one I know of that does it... the
RIFF/u-law plugin) we can be sure that there will only one file open at a
time.  xmms will never call the play function again unless play has
stopped.  And since only one thread (the display thread) will ever be
making these calls, they should all be safe within the scope of xmms.

Tony Arcieri