[Tremor] looking for test vectors that hit specific parts of codebook.c and res012.c for memory analysis

Ethan Bordeaux ethan.bordeaux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 13:42:19 PST 2009

Thanks.  I built the beta 4 encoder and was able to run through a good bit
of the decoder code that I hadn't yet been able to benchmark.

One thing I noticed is that this version of the encoder uses a lot more
memory; particularly in the codebooks.  Overall, supporting files from beta
4 requires at least another 50k of memory.  I haven't benchmarked this
across encoding rates or larger files so I can't say if it will grow beyond
that.  Most of this goes to dec_table as well as the ogg buffers that hold
data read in in a frame (at init time, not decode time - that seems to be
the same).

I have a few questions:

1.  Does anyone know when the encoder started using less memory/acting like
the latest release from a memory usage perspective?
2.  Are there other known spikes in memory usage with some encoders that a
static memory allocation system would have to worry about?
3.  Was beta 4 commonly used to encode files?  Is it safe to ignore audio
encoded this long ago?
4.  Is there somewhere where I can grab win32 binaries of all the vorbis
encoder releases?  It's a bit of a pain needing to rebuild from source,
especially if I need to benchmark memory usage against all encoder releases.

I'd really like to avoid needing to allocate all this extra memory for a
very old encoder, but if there are a lot of ogg files out there then we're
going to at least need to come up with some elegant solution.  When is the
earliest the decoder realizes that the input file is from beta 4?  Is it
when it captures the vendor name in _vorbis_unpack_comment()?