[Tremor] Need information of any Ogg player implementation on tremor

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Dec 27 21:59:25 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Diptopal Basu <diptopal.basu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Monty ,
>
>        I had downloaded the tremor codec and tried out the decoder on an ogg
> music file . all I got was noise , I was hoping that I would hear music  , I
> will eventually implement it on an embedded ARM9 board running Linux .
>
>     What am I missing out here ? Thanks for your patience

The example players are just examples, not full-featured players.
Eg, ivorbisfile_example.c decodes a stereo vorbis file and writes raw
16 bit stereo PCM data to stdout.  How to play that depends on how
you're trying to play it.  For example, you could convert it to a WAV
file with sox (which actually just sticks a small header on the front)
or play it directly using, eg 'play' by passing in the format
parameters.

The example code does not do this last bit because the code necessary
to set up simple playback on just Linux would be larger than the
entire rest of the sample program, and it would have to be changed on
a regular basis as Linux tends not to have very stable sound APIs.
Including code to do simple playback on all the platforms our code
supports would be a project larger then Vorbis itself.

Monty