[Tremor] question on static memory allocation implementation in tremor patch

Ethan Bordeaux ethan.bordeaux at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 15:45:18 PST 2008

Nicholas - I was going through the static allocation code and had a question
on a part of the implementation.  I'm trying to understand why you have a
separate allocation for "fwdindex".  It seems like you're allowing for
allocation for a couple special cases within floor1.c into a unique array
within tmem.  Why did you do this?  Is this something you need for your
specific implementation?  Some optimization I'm missing?  I found that
sending all _ogg_mallocs to your allocation functions worked quite well and
I didn't need to use the fwdindex code at all.

Also, if this discussion on the static allocations is seen as noise I'm
happy to take this off-list.  I will say that in my experience in embedded
systems we stay away from mallocs.  Getting this fix in place and making it
work well for everyone is of great value, so I believe this is on-topic.

Ethan