[Tremor] packaging tremor (libvorbisidec) for debian

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg-debian.org at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Nov 23 22:56:56 PST 2006

Hi Monty and other tremor folks--

I'm in the process of packaging tremor/libvorbisidec for the debian
GNU/Linux distribution [0].  I've become interested in it because of
the recent maturity of the debian ARM port, which covers a large
class of cheap, FPU-less hardware.

I've already made an example package, which tests and runs well (50%
CPU consumption, comparable to libmad for mp3's) on the linksys NSLU2
(32MB RAM, 266Mhz processor) under Linux 2.6.18.  If you are
interested in the packages i've made, you can see the preliminary
versions here:

  http://lair.fifthhorseman.net/~dkg/src/tremor/

I'm packaging the regular branch, rather than the low-memory branch at
the moment, since debian systems tend towards higher RAM than most
embedded devices, and i'm assuming that the regular branch can provide
higher fidelity than the lowmem version.  If that assumption is
mistaken (or you can think of other reasons you think debian would
prefer the low-memory version), please let me know.

i'm pulling the sources from svn: If there's a more canonical location
for the source i should be looking at, i'd be happy to hear it.  I
also notice that svn contains bits of debian packaging (a debian/
directory, in particular) which seems to be either out-of-date or from
another package or both.  I'd be happy to contribute my packaging
modifications to the mainline tree, if that's desired.  They're GPL at
the moment, but i would be willing to change them to the BSD-ish
license favored by tremor if that's needed.

also: i'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the proper version
number for the tremor library.
http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/Tremor/debian/changelog implies that it is
version 1.2.0, but http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/Tremor/CHANGELOG implies
that it is 1.0.2, and the libraries appear to build for me as 1.0.2 --
i just want to make sure i'm not missing some new version.

I welcome any feedback from the tremor community on this project, and
look forward to seeing libvorbisidec an apt-get away!

	--dkg