[Tremor] Complexity Decoder vs. Encoder

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed Jan 4 08:53:06 PST 2006

On 12/2/05, Wacker Klaus (CM-DI/ESP1) *
<external.Klaus.Wacker at de.bosch.com> wrote:

> Has anybody an idea how the encoder complexity compares to the decoder?
> By the way how fast does the decoder run on the 55x?
> Any figures are appreciated
> Cheers
> Klaus

Klaus,

Sorry for the long delay - the moderation queue doesn't get checked very often.

Since you're asking this on the tremor list, I assume you want to
compare complexity of the libvorbis reference encoder to that of
Tremor. That's a difficult comparison, as the reference encoder uses
floating point very extensively, so for the situations where you'd be
using Tremor, the encoder wouldn't run (without using soft-float, but
that would be too slow to be useful).

If comparing the reference encoder to the reference decoder (a more
natural comparison), I think you'd find that the encoder is at least a
factor of five slower.

I haven't run tremor on any TI chips, so I can't give you performance
numbers, but possibly someone else on the list will be able to help
you. Tremor doesn't take a great deal of CPU, though.

Mike