[Tremor] re:ogg and vorbis segregation

Dhanabal dhanapalb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 02:14:59 PDT 2005

>Our application demands that a packet (with all checks
>made outside) will be given in a buffer and we need to
>write a packet decode/synthesis.

>Is vorbis_dsp_synthesis a function which is in
>complete to synthesis a packet ? I saw the code and
>have analysed it but just wanted to have a word from
>xiph.

Yes, the decoder does the synthesis packet by packet. But if your application is going to fill your input buffer with only one packet at a time how are you going to take care of the checksum? In Ogg Vorbis only the pages have headers not the audio packets. Which means the check sum is calculated for the whole page. When you calculate the checksum parallely you are already through with part of the page which is not a friendly condition for that application.